Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Online Househunting & the Moleskine Notebook

We're getting ready to move again in a few months. While we will dearly miss our life in Japan, we are looking forward to being closer to both of our families when we move back to San Antonio, Texas next year.


In anticipation of this upcoming move, I've been perusing the housing market in San Antonio for the last four months. We just started working with a local agent and managed to narrow down the hundreds of choices to about a dozen... I think. Hubby has been reminding me to slow down since we have at least another 6 months until we get there. I tend to obsess about certain things and when it comes to moving, I get even more list-happy (see post from 29Sep).


You see, in the past 16 years, since joining the military, I've spent little to no time in "temporary lodging" because I've prepared so well for each move. When I moved from Maryland to San Antonio in 1999, I moved right into my one bedroom apartment in a gated community in Alamo Heights the same day I drove into town (I'd never seen it before I drove into San Antonio and I hadn't been in San Antonio since I was 12 when we went to visit the Alamo). Okay, that meant that I had to beg a trusted friend to check it out for me with yet another list of my preferences (overall safety, proximity to Ft. Sam Houston, nearby businesses/shopping, etc.). Afterwards, the lease was fax'd and signed and I even had rental furniture arranged to be delivered before I moved in (my own furniture wouldn't arrive for at least another month). I did the same thing when I moved back to Maryland a year later... that time I did stay in temporary lodging at Walter Reed's Mologne House for about a week or so until I could arrange for my furniture to be delivered.


When I moved from the DC area to Japan in 2004, I spent a couple of weeks in the BOQ only because I had to wait to find out when I was going to be flown out to meet the ship. In the meantime, I decided to go ahead and find some housing rather than wait until the ship returned a month later...that way I could step off the ship and into my own house. It took me 2 days and 2 houses before I found our current gem of a home.


Virtual aside: Shichirigahama-Higashi is the wonderful little village where we've lived for the past 3 years. It's a great neighborhood that's considered pretty upscale for Japan...a house 2 doors down from us is listed at the equivalent of $500,000 USD and it's less than 2000 sq ft. There's a little bit of a yard in the back and no garage since land is at a premium around here. The average family car around here ranges from a Toyota Caldina (station wagon) to a Mini-cooper (very popular with the younger mothers who drop their kids off at the kindergarten at the end of the street) to a Range Rover (big for most Japanese streets). I've even seen a Ferrari parked around here. Since most people take trains to work, cars are either driven by stay at home moms or only on weekends.


This is the beach down the hill from our little neighborhood... it's sometimes so quiet that you can hear the waves. During the last typhoon, you could definitely hear the waves! We'll miss this neighborhood, our wonderful neighbors and just being so close to the water. Sigh...we truly live in paradise (that's what my mother-in-law said when they visited us this past spring).


So, what's my secret to househunting? I am prepared...overly prepared. I took away a lot of lessons from grad school, but one that's really been applied many times over the years is the classic decision matrix. I haven't done it yet for the San Antonio move, but it's coming... to Hubby's dismay. (His eyes glaze over when it comes to anything remotely resembling my "Army Baylor" experience or health care administration in general) The closest to "the matrix" I've come so far is my classic "list"... and the dedicated notebook.



It's not just any notebook...it's a Moleskine journal. Hubby turned me onto them and heck, it works. I've gone full circle when it comes to organizational tools. When jotting down important thoughts & contact information for people I meet along the way, I've had a Handspring and a Blackberry (at the same time), mobile phones & IPODs, all of which can do wondrous things like keep a calendar and address book, play music, play the radio or check the Internet (Japanese mobiles). Regardless of what new technologies arise, I've found that the old-fashioned pen to paper has never failed me. A Moleskine (whether hardbound or the new "paperback" versions) is better than loose Post-it notes...and there's this great little pocket in the back where you can keep slips of paper like the loose Post-it.

This particular Moleskine journal is dedicated to our San Antonio househunting journey... I've got the basics that we'll need when we chat with our agent via phone or email, listings that we've found on various sites, etc. When we get closer to our move, I expect it to evolve into the central repository for the really important stuff ... utility companies, cable providers, home repair services... the nearest neighborhood coffee shop...the nearest decent shopping mall... the nearest Wal Mart... the nearest Home Depot



SAN ANTONIO...I've managed to use a variety of online sites to get information on San Antonio neighborhoods. Since I love doing the research and presenting options, that's what I'm doing. (I research like a mad scientist and present my findings to Hubby...this is also how we managedto have a wedding and reception for over 200 guests with 6 months of planning.)


SAN ANTONIO ONLINE HOUSEHUNTING TOOLS: Through the use of 2 major Internet portals, mySA.com and trulia.com, & Google Earth/Maps, I'm able to triangulate and get good basic info on a house listing or a neighborhood. If a house is listed on mySA.com, I can usually get more information off trulia.com. While it seems that every listing found on trulia.com can be found on mySA.com, it doesn't work the other way. The nice thing about trulia.com is that each listing will also have additional views of the home, via the agent's own website. Now that we're working with a great agent, Kathy Seale with the Phyllis Browning Company, we're able to ask her about listings found online and since we've already done as much research as possible from half the world away, we rely on her for the fine details that aren't readily evident online. Game Plan: She sends us additional information in the form of sellers MLS listing (with price change history, days on the market, room sizes, exterior and interior details), offers her personal & professional opinions (this is critical), and finally, we narrow our choices down and make a realistic and sensible offer on our next home. Ahh, but that's in a perfect world. Hopefully we don't have to do it more than once, but we can only hope...

Alamo Heights is at the top of our list but we think that the houses we're finding on the current market are either going to be gone when we are ready to make an offer, turn out to be lemons and fall off our list of choices, or we end up having to make an offer relatively soon and have to pay out of pocket for a couple of months to secure the deal... yikes! (So, we're preparing for just about anything to happen...) However, since the housing market nationwide is in a slump, we hope the stars line up just right and we find at least ONE home that is nearly almost perfect for our needs and the seller graciously accepts our offer with minimal to no negotiating at the table. We want a home that not only fits our present and future needs, but in case we are transferred out of the area in a few years, we can readily rent or sell it.

If only we could transport all the great qualities of our old Parkfairfax neighborhood in Northern Virginia down to Texas...the proximity to work, friends, parish church, downtown and neighboring entertainment areas like Shirlington Village and all the great restaurants and shops therein. Alamo Heights comes closest in terms of the energy and vibe...so we're crossing our fingers that luck will be on our side!

No comments: