Monday, November 12, 2007

A November Sunset at the Beach

A couple of weeks ago, on Columbus Day, since I didn't have to go to work, I went for a quick run around the neighborhood. It's a rare treat to catch the sunset during the week so I sat down by the beach and took some notes. Here's what I wrote:

Sky's clear. Looks like a lot of folks had the same idea I did. Since I arrived about 20 minutes earlier, the crowd of quiet observers has grown from a handful to about 20 folks, some with cameras, some with camera-phones. We all came to watch Fuji-san's "skyline" at sunset. Cool, crisp fall weather means Fuji and the Hakone "skyline" become visible often, always. Even Oshima is peeking through the haze! The photo just doesn't do the view justice, but you can see the handful of surfers enjoying some late afternoon surfing.


There are 2 little boys, twins? on the beach below. (I'm sitting on the Parking lot level with my feet clad in my MBTs, hanging over the side.) These 2 boys are playing in the sand while Mom & Dad watch on the steps leading down--safely munching on snacks. Pigeons are hovering about though. Dad just called for them to come over but one is quite willful and continues digging in the sand.

Kid #2 is still playing while his brother, the good one, sits munching on his snacks. #2 is missing out! They call him by yelling "whoooo". Uh-oh, Dad's going to get him now. It must be an Asian call for kids because my Dad's call to me sounds a lot like that. It's kind of a cross between "hey" and "woh", emphasis on "oh". Kid #2 really likes sand. Good thing he's got on brown pants, but his white shirt is very black. (The volcanic sand makes black mud--duh!)

There are a handful of surfers out, as well as a bunch of Japanese tourists milling about too. A few couples too. The sunset is just gorgeous! It's only 4:26 pm and it just gets darker so much faster nowadays!


It's 4:41 pm now and, wow, now that the sun's set behind Hakone, it's considerably cooler. I'm glad I have my Army & Navy Club windshirt. It helps cut the chill.


Boy, do I love living here and am ashamed to say I haven't grasped the language as well as I should nor have I taken full advantage of the outdoors as others have. I love staying in and I enjoy my solitude. Moment of self-reflection: It must be the ISFP or FP in me, I suppose. I've probably always forced myself to be an ENTJ but now that I'm older, I don't feel as if I need to cover up my true ID. Haha.


Now there's only one surfer out where there were 4 or 5 about 30 minutes ago. I should probably start heading back up. I am glad I wore my MBTs so at least my hiney gets a bit of a workout on the trek uphill back home!

No comments: